To be able to provide mental health first aid to those in crisis.
• To be able to respond with improved confidence to those in crisis
• Explore different types of common mental illness
• To develop de-escalation techniques
This course is intended for those who are responding to people in a mental health crisis and who are wishing to develop their understanding of the field of mental health.
• What is mental health?
• Types of conditions e.g. Schizophrenia, Depression
• Understanding psychiatric terms
• Concerns of the candidates
• Use of body language- SATIR body categories
• Use of interventions
• How to respond to delusions
• How to build rapport with those in a mental health crisis
• Legal framework
• Understanding Medication and how it works
• Understanding role of drug misuse and mental health
• Sectioning under the 1983 Mental health Act and code of practice
• How to support sufferers
• Supportive strategies
• Mindfulness and mental health
• Understanding risk and mental health
• De-escalation techniques
• Anxiety and hyperventilation
• Dealing with self-harm strategies
• Use of risk in mental health
• How to respond to suffers in a psychotic state
This course is delivered on site, at the client’s premises or nominated venue.