Learning Disability Awareness
Click on each tab to see additional course information
To develop participants skills and confidence in supporting people with a learning disability.
• To review types of disability
• To understand impact of society on disability
• To be able to understand the importance of communication models in learning disability
• To review best practise for practitioners
This course is for staff who work with clients with learning disabilities and are required to be able to apply support and enable them to maintain independence.
• Differentiate between ‘learning disability’, ‘learning difficulty’ and ‘neuro diversity’
• Explore methods in which health and social care staff can support people who have learning disabilities
• Learning disability and safeguarding – lessons for us
• Examine an overview of augmented communications
• Examine the social disability model
• Explore case reviews of what can go wrong in the care of people with learning disabilities
• Reflect on how attitudes towards impairments and disabilities can impact upon care and support
• Review 6 types of common learning disability
• Discuss what ‘reasonable adjustment’ means and how to adjust the way that care is delivered to people with learning disabilities
• Review current UK legislation and policies
• Explore capacity
• Disability voices
• Mild/moderate/severe classifications
• Review the Liberty protection safeguards
• Review the code of practise
• Discuss the importance of reporting concerns and identify how concerns can be reported according to local policy and guidelines
• CQC Assessment
• Evaluations and endings
This course has been mapped to the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 (Part 3), the Care Quality Commission (Registration) Regulations 2009 (Part 4), and the CQC Guidance for providers on meeting the regulations. It also complies with Regulation 12 Safe Care and Treatment and Regulation 18 Staffing of the CQC fundamental standards are met.
This course is delivered on site, at the client’s premises or nominated venue.
Summary & Booking
This course involves a mixture of group and individual work. It enables student to improve their communication with learning disability clients and to be able to look at best practise models.