De-escalation and Communication - Level 2 & 3
Click on each tab to see additional course information
To enable staff to manage aggression.
• Review psychology of aggression
• Review behavioural de-escalation techniques
• Tips and techniques on how to remain safe on visits
• Understanding and being aware of potential risks
• Early signs of aggression violence and de-escalating skills
• Promoting confidence and developing self-efficiency
This course is for staff who must respond to aggression in clients.
• Dealing with Anger – The Attitude and Behaviour Cycle
• Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and work-related violence
• Fight / flight or freeze
• De-escalating people
• Stages of behaviour
• Brain functioning
• Signalling Non-Aggression
• Body language positions
• Communication blocks
• 6 common de-escalation techniques
• Telephone aggression
• Internal Vs external personalities
• Understanding risk
• Knowledge and understanding of triggers
• Case studies
• Available support
• Course assessment
Includes all the above plus
• NICE guidance
• Risk Reduction Responses
• Safety systems
• Neural networks and scripts
• Care/support planning
• CQC lessons to be learnt
This course has been mapped to the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 (Part 3), the Care Quality Commission (Registration) Regulations 2009 (Part 4), and the CQC Guidance for providers on meeting the regulations. It also complies with Regulation 12 Safe Care and Treatment and Regulation 18 Staffing of the CQC fundamental standards are met.
This course is delivered on site, at the client’s premises or nominated venue.
Summary & Booking
This course involves a mixture of group and individual work and requires the application of critical reflective thinking during the day.
In addition, the course utilises a professional actor for scenarios as a further option. This enables staff to review and reflect upon their skills in this area.
The level 2 programme is a half-day, suitable for introduction and refresher training.
The level 3 is a full-day programme that goes into the subject in more depth.